New Measures to Enhance Efficiency of Campus Access Control
The new academic year will begin in September. The University plans to resume face-to-face classes and activities with an increasing number of people taking part in activities on campus. Large numbers of people are expected to enter the campus on a daily basis. With the approval of the Administrative and Planning Committee (AAPC), and in line with the practices of other local universities, the University will implement the following procedures to improve the efficiency of campus access control measures with effect from 30 August 2021 (Monday):
- CUHK Smartcard Holders
- Manual checking of CUHK identity cards at campus entry points will be replaced by electronic means via a newly installed e-access card reading system to verify validity of smartcards upon entry into campus.
- Holders of CULinks & CUHK Library Cards: Will need to validate their smartcards at the card reading devices with effect from the implementation date (30 August).
- Holders of CUHK Resident / Contractor Cards: Those using current paper cards will receive the new smartcards issued by respective colleges or units in phases. Smartcard holders will need to validate their cards at the card reading devices.
- Where necessary, smartcard holders might be requested to produce their HKIDs for verification of identity.
- Pre-Registered Visitors
- Pre-registered Visitors: Will receive QR Codes issued by the respective colleges / faculties / units using an online template developed by the University.
- These QR Codes are person specific and valid only for the date specified by the issuing colleges / faculties / units.
- Visitors should present their QR Codes for validation (as well as HKIDs for verification of identity if necessary) at campus entry points in order to gain entry into campus.
- CUHK Alumni
- Holders of CUHK Alumni Credit Cards: Should continue to present their cards at campus entry points in order to gain entry into campus.
- Where necessary, credit card holders might be requested to produce their HKIDs for verification of identity.
All other visitors who cannot provide the CUHK-related documents above are required to register their HKIDs, etc, at campus entry points in order to gain entry into campus. The University reserves the right to refuse any visitors to the campus if circumstances require.
The campus access control measures are intended to safeguard campus security and the well-being of the University community. The University appreciates the understanding and cooperation of members of the University and the community.