24 Mar 2020
Message from Committee on Health Promotion and Protection : Act together against COVID-19
24 Mar 2020
Dear students and colleagues,
In view of the COVID-19 epidemic situation, the Committee on Health Promotion and Protection strongly urges all staff and students to adopt the health advice of the Centre for Health Protection, Department of Health, to protect yourself and each other.
- Maintain at all times strict personal and environmental hygiene, which is key to personal protection against infection and prevention of the spread of the disease in the community. On a personal level, members of the public should wear a surgical mask when having respiratory symptoms, taking public transport or staying in crowded places. They should also perform hand hygiene frequently, especially before touching the mouth, nose or eyes.
- Maintain an appropriate social distance with other people as far as possible in their daily lives. In particular, they should go out less and avoid social activities such as meal gatherings or other gatherings to reduce the chance of contacting infected persons, who may not present any symptoms, and minimise the risk of outbreak clusters emerging in the community.
- As for household environmental hygiene, members of the public are advised to maintain drainage pipes properly, and regularly pour water into drain outlets (U-traps); cover all floor drain outlets when they are not in use; after using the toilet, they should put the toilet lid down before flushing to avoid spreading germs.
- Avoid all non-essential travel outside Hong Kong.
- For the home confinees and their household members, please follow the Centre for Health Protection’s home quarantine guidelines (https://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/inbound-travel.html).
Starting from 23 March, the University has revised work arrangements and only limited services will be provided by the departments/units until further notice. Staff and students are reminded to stay vigilant, keep good hygiene practices and maintain social distancing to minimise the risk of contracting and spreading the disease.
For more information, please visit the following websites:
- Government’s “COVID-19 Thematic Website” (http://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/index.html)
- CUHK’s “Act Together Against COVID-19” website (https://againstcovid19.cuhk.edu.hk/)
Committee on Health Promotion and Protection